Sunday, September 26, 2010

Humanimal Portraits

I know we should have started with the elements of art but I really wanted to do something fun the first 6 weeks of school. Not only that, but since I see classes once a week it becomes impossible to follow the curriculum. I took this lesson from the book "My Very Favorite Art Book: I Love Collage!" by Jennifer Lipsey. The kids loved it.

It took the 5th and 4th graders 5 - 45 minute classes to complete this and some didn't get to finish. They cut out the body of a person out of a magazine, then cut out an animal head and added human eyes. They had free reign to add other details. They had to have a background, it could be anything. It didn't have to make sense.

The 3rd and 2nd graders cut out an oval from construction paper and added different eyes, noses, mouths and hair. They could add a body if they wanted to or mustaches or whatever they felt like adding. They also had to cover the background with magazine images.

The result is hysterical. I've never seen so many kids laugh and giggle at their own work. Their imaginations totally worked overtime on this and it shows. The only bad thing about this lesson is looking through the magazines and ripping out inappropriate images. And if we have over 900 kids just guess how many magazines I had to go through. That and trying to find cheap animal magazines at Half Price Books. I should have planned a little bit better. It's a lot of work to do this lesson but again, I have to say, seeing the kids so happy and productive and seeing the end result is really worth it.

(5th & 4th Grade)



(2nd & 3rd Grade)

Oh and I worked 54 hours this week and spent a whopping $1.89 for the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment