Monday, March 12, 2012

Writing About Art (2nd Grade)

Last week 2nd grade students did a worksheet on looking and writing about art.  I really didn't know how well this would work.  I had done this before with 4th and 5th grade with stellar results.  I have to admit that I sometimes have a difficult time getting my 2nd graders focused and on task.  So I threw caution into the wind and took a chance.  The results were phenomenal!   I had not one person complain about having to write in art or why they had to do this project.  They loved it and loved discussing it after they had completed the task.  I don't know why I was so hesitant.  I need to have more faith in my 2nd graders.  I have learned my lesson - big time.  Take a look at what they did!  It's soooo cute!

First I handed out postcards of a work of art for each student.  I'm lucky to have quite a collection (I'd been collecting these cards since high school!) Then I passed out a worksheet with the following questions...
1. Who is the artist?
2. What do you see?
3. Do you like it?  What do you like or not like about it?
4. What colors do you see?
5. What do you think the painting is about?
6. Turn paper over and draw something from the painting.

I had to show some of the students where to find the name of the artist, sometimes it's tricky to find it.  I let the students work on their own answering the questions.  I had markers on the table for them to color the pictures they drew.  This was a really great project and thanks to the Amon Carter Museum of American Art for the idea!



I like how she added the horse and carriage!





 




 



















 


How sweet of that tree to hand the horse an apple!


2 comments: