Saturday, April 7, 2012

Complementary Color Turn About (4th Grade)

This book has been a real life saver.  "How to Teach Art to Children" By Evan Moor got me through my first two years of teaching.  I honestly don't know what I would have done without this book...and fellow art teacher blogs.  If you don't have this book I highly recommend it. 
A few weeks ago I was asked to teach a lesson on Translations.   I found one lesson on "Complementary Color Turn About" that can incorporate Rotation.  (I'm also using this book for 5th & 4th grade tessellation projects which incorporate Translation.)  Just a word of warning, I used up all of my construction paper for this project, which really bums me out as I didn't have any budget left to order more for the beginning of next year.  You might want to go smaller and use 6 X 6, 3 X 3 paper instead of 12 X 12, 6 X 6. 

I talked to the students about color and transformations. ( FYI There are a ton of cool videos on youtube about these subjects that I downloaded and played for them.)  I had cut complementary colored construction paper into 12 X 12 squares as well as 6 X 6 squares.  Students picked one color of large paper and 4 small squares in it complementary color.  They then drew one continuous line down the middle of a small square.  It could be a zigzag or curvy line or a combination of both.
                                                                  

They then stacked all the small papers together and cut the line so they end up with 8 cut squares.
 Then the students folded their larger construction paper into quarters (this helps them in placing their smaller cut paper).  Then unfolded their paper and glued their cut papers in a rotating pattern. 











                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment